Tuesday, May 06, 2008

The Stressful Continuation Of My Life

Catherine's teacher called. Apparently Catherine does not think classwork is important now. She also threw some flash cards, threw a fit over a raffle because she didn't win, lied and told the teacher the cat tore up her homework. She also doesn't know how to get along with other children and doesn't want to stop talking. And to top all of that off, she did not come right home after school and I had to go track her down. I found her in the parking lot, hiding with some boy in the back of his dad's pick up. Needless to say, I was super mad. Catherine says this is the most trouble she has been in in her whole life. She may be right.

With all my moving stress, adding Catherine misbehaving to it was so not helping. Then I get home and find notes from the apartment manager demanding more money. HELLO! I paid the rent on Friday. I paid it with a cashier's check and I have a receipt. They want $50 more in rent plus a $50 late fee. I looked it up. It is against the law to raise the rent before the lease is up. My lease is up May 31. And I paid it on time. Then she left me a new lease saying if I don't sign it, the police will be called because "it's against the law to stay in the apartment without a new lease". First of all, she told me a couple of month's ago that my lease would not be renewed when it was up in May because they wanted to raise the rent a lot higher and bring in more Marines. I told her the girls were finishing school and could we make arrangements to stay until June 30. She said that would be fine. I have it in writing. Now they want a six month lease. Second of all, it says in my current lease, "If resident holds over upon termination of this lease, this agreement shall continue to be binding on the parties as a month to month agreement." They can ask me nicely if I'd like a new lease. But I do not have to sign it. They can give me notice to please move then, which is fine, but they have to give me 60 days notice because I have lived her more than 18 months. I looked it up. They have given me no notice, I have given them notice that I will be moving June 30, because the apartment manager said I had to do that to avoid this crap. Didn't work, did it? And no, I can not be arrested and the police won't be here. She was just trying to intimidate me. It didn't work. All she managed to do was piss me off. So I went over her head and called the property management company.

I need a margarita and not the kind Carolynn drinks. Maybe we skip the margarita and just hand me the tequila bottle.

5 comments:

  1. Wow. I hardly know what to say.

    Good for you for standing up for yourself. Those apartment people can bite it.

    And I'm sorry about all the stress with Catherine. She seemed to be behaving for a while there.

    Hang in and hang on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Catherine's teacher thinks she may be reacting to stress from testing this week (this is only a recent development) or from our move getting closer and her being nervous about moving. She doesn't act nervous or stressed but she may not know it if she was.

    And those apartment people can pry and extra $50 and a $50 late fee from my cold dead hands.

    Only 1 month, 3 weeks, and 4 days until I am out of here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yow! Talk about your double whammy. As I read about Catherine and your stress with the apartment I wondered if the two were related, then you said the teacher thinks C is reacting to stress. Boy do I feel smart. lol Hope things work out for you without further threats.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well Catherine has been in some trobles before, she doesn't do well with stress at school and you are pretty stressed about the move. I hope you do not bury her in the sand or toss her in the ocean on your camping trip......you guys need to relax and eat some smores and enjoy the time off.
    They can not raise the rent with out giving you notice and the certainly can not call the cops if you do not sign a lease.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Jen! I am so sorry about these things happening.You are strong,so you will get thru it.I am proud of you for not being intimidated.Call me anytime. Love,Dad

    ReplyDelete

Leave Me A Comment. You Know You Wanna.